Dear PSS Members,
Wishing all our PSS members safe and healthy in this Circuit Breaker Period!
Time passed so swiftly that the Pharmacological Society of Singapore (PSS) is now already FIVE YEARS old. Over the past one year, the Society, working together with our members, has hosted many academic and research events to promote Pharmacology in Singapore. It is my pleasure to report those activities in 2019 to you, which include:
1. “Graduate Academic Progress in Pharmacology (GAPP) cum Annual General Meeting (AGM) Meeting” was held on Feb 22, 2019. Alumni working in industries and government agency were invited speakers to share their different career paths after graduation from Pharmacology PhD program. TWO (2) PhD students and ONE (1) Honours student received the Best Oral Presentation Awards. Dr. Deron Herr was elected as the new PSS Treasurer. The PSS would like to express our appreciation to Dr. Mitchell Lai for being an excellent Treasurer for the past 2 years.
2. To commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the Department of Pharmacology (PHC60) at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, PSS co-hosted the following events:
a. July 4-5 2019 [MD11 CRC Auditorium]
“International Conference on Pharmacology: Advances in Translational Sciences & Drug Discovery” PSS members attended for FREE.
b. Apr 4 2019 [MD3 Level 2 Lecture Theatre]
“PHC60 Workshop: Bioactive Lipid Signaling Systems”
c. Feb 14 2019 [MD11 CRC Auditorium]
NUS Visiting Professor Lecture by Professor Jerold Chun
“Genomic mosaicism and gene recombination in the normal and Alzheimer’s disease brain”
3. PSS supported the organization of “The 5th IUPHAR World Congress on the Pharmacology of Natural Products” held on Dec 4-7, 2019, in Hyderabad, India.
4. PSS Student Travel Scholarship 2019 has been awarded to ONE (1) student member to attend “The 5th IUPHAR World Congress on the Pharmacology of Natural Products” held in Hyderabad, India on December 4-7, 2019.
5. PSS supported the organization of the 14th Meeting of the Asia Pacific Federation of Pharmacologists (APFP2020) to be held in September 26-30, 2020, in Taipei, Taiwan. [Dates have been postponed due to COVID-19]
6. PSS is the co-organizer of Pharmacology Seminar Seriestogether with the Department of Pharmacology. In 2018, we have hosted 8 speakers and seminars.
In collaboration with the Department of Pharmcology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, PSS has co-hosted a series of events for the members to promote of Pharmacology and Drug Discovery research in 2019, including:
PSS planned activities in Year 2020:
1. GAPP Meeting 2019 has been postponed to a later date due to COVID-19.
2. PSS Annaul General Meeting (AGM) will be held on May 22, 2020 (Friday) at 2-3 pm via ZOOM conferencing.
3. PSS Student Travel Scholarship 2020 will be announced.
4. PSS is supporting the organization of a Summer School for the Asian Pacific Neurochemistry Society (ASPN) to be held in 2020. [Please check update directly from ASPN due to COVID-19]
5. PSS is supporting the organization of a Conference for the Asian College of Neuropsychopharmacology (AsCNP) to be held in 2021.
**For Your IMMEDIATE ACTION:
1. PSS-AGM May 22, 2020 (Friday) between 2:00-3:00 pm via Zoom. Please come and join us in the Annual General Meeting. Please, see your email for the agenda and Zoom meeting link sent to all PSS members.
2. PSS Membership 2020 Renewal – Please, renew membership for the year 2020.
With Warmest Regards for a Safe and Healthy 2020,
W.S. Fred Wong, BPharm, PhD
President, Pharmacological Society of Singapore