Position Summary & Responsibilities
This position is a new appointment in Dr Leo Chen Huei’s newly-established research group in the Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD). This unique position is funded by one of the global pharmaceutical leader in reproductive and maternal health, Ferring Pharmaceutical Singapore to conduct R&D projects in SUTD. The Research Assistant will be expected to work in the area of reproductive health and cardiovascular biology. The research group studies how a naturally occurring reproductive hormone causes enhancement to blood vessel function and improves cardiovascular health. This project will investigate if this hormone can be developed to treat pregnancy-related diseases such as pre-eclampsia, thereby potentially improve the well-being of the pregnant mother and the baby. We use mammalian cell culture, contemporary molecular biology techniques and protein chemistry to study the impact of this hormone on vascular cells and how it may be used to improve cardiovascular health in the setting of pregnancy complications. The successful applicant will have the unique opportunity to work on the research project based in SUTD which is in collaboration and partnership with internationally renowned reproductive scientist (University of Melbourne), peptide chemist (Florey Institute of Neuroscience) and pharmaceutical industry (Ferring). The selected candidate is expected to perform day to day experiments in the laboratory to achieve project milestones under the direction of the Principal investigator or delegate.
• Completed BSc (Hons) or MSc degree in biomedical/life sciences or related discipline
• 1-2 years working experience as a research assistant in a laboratory
• Significant expertise in mammalian cell culture of vascular cells such as HUVECs, HUASMCs
• Experience in molecular biology techniques including western blot, qPCR and ELISA
• Ability to conduct high quality research under limited supervision
• Excellent record keeping of scientific data
• Experience in managing multiple research projects and experiments
• Experience in writing scientific reports and publications
• Experience in research administrative duties such as risk assessment and laboratory safety management
• Evidence of peer-reviewed publication as an author
Please contact Dr Leo (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further enquires on the position requirements. For interested candidate, please submit a cover letter, a point to point response to the selection criteria, full CV including contact details of 2 professional referees to Dr Leo.