Warmest New Year greetings to all of you!
I would like to share with you the past and future planned activities of the Pharmacological Society of Singapore (PSS) which is now TWO YEARS old. Over the past one year, the Society, working together with our members, has hosted many academic and research events as listed below:
- Symposium on the “Pharmacology of Gaseous Mediators” was held on April 18, 2015. Ex-President of IUPHAR Professor Paul Vanhoutte and Professor Hideo Kimura of National Institute of Neuroscience, Japan, were the plenary speakers. Overall 50 members attended the Symposium.
- “Graduate Academic Progress in Pharmacology (GAPP) cum Annual General Meeting (AGM) Meeting” was held on Feb 19, 2016. Professor Alex Matter, Director of ETC and Dr. Alice LIM of the Health Science Singapore (HSA) were invited speakers to share on career in drug industries and in government agencies. Three PhD students received that Best Oral Presentation Awards.
- PSS Student Travel Scholarship 2016. Miss Wang Chao was awarded PSS Student Travel Scholarship with up to S$500 subsidy to attend a regional conference in India in October 2016.
- In addition to being enrolled as a member of the Asian Pacific Federation of Pharmacologists (APFP) in 2015, PSS is now officially endorsed as a Full Member of the IUPHAR (International Union of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology) in 2016, the largest pharmacology organization in the world.
- PSS has proposed TWO Session Themes and Speakers for the World Congress of Pharmacology (WCP2018) to be held in July 1-6, 2018, in Kyoto, Japan. One of the theme “Novel Therapeutic Strategies for Respiratory Diseases” has been accepted for PSS to organize.
- PSS is the co-organizer of Pharmacology Seminar Series together with the Department of Pharmacology. In 2016, we have hosted 22 speakers and seminars.
In the coming year, PSS has prepared a series of events for the members for the promotion of Pharmacology and Drug Discovery research including:
- “GAPP” Meeting to be held on Feb 22, 2017 (Wednesday). Industry, government agencies and academic speakers will share the challenges and opportunities for PhD students in drug discovery in academia vs industry. Students will give oral presentations on their on-going research. Contact A/Prof. Gautam Sethi (PSS Secretary) and Dr. Deron Herr (Graduate Student Coordinator of Pharmacology) for speaking opportunity. PSS-AGM will be conducted immediately after the GAPP Meeting.
- “Scientific Frontiers in Natural Product-Based Drugs” Conference will be held on July 6-7, 2017. This conference is co-organized by PSS, Department of Pharmacology and Department of Pharmacy, NUS. General Secretary of IUPHAR Professor Michael Spedding will be one of the plenary speakers. PSS members will attend this Conference free-of-charge.
- PSS will present the inaugural Annual PSS Award to investigator(s) who has (have) contributed significantly to Pharmacological Sciences in Singapore. Nomination by members are welcome.
- To help organize a Session in WCP2018.
**For PSS Member Immediate Action:
- PSS-AGM will be held on February 22, 2017 (Wednesday) between 11:30-1:00 pm at MD3-02-01 – Level 2, Tiered Room.
- PSS Membership 2017. Apply NOW – Membership Form enclosed – please join or renew existing membership to support Pharmacology as a critical biomedical discipline in Singapore. Member can attend “Scientific Frontiers in Natural Product-Based Drugs” Conference free-of-charge.
With Warmest Regards for a Happy, Healthy, and Fulfilling Year,
W.S. Fred Wong, BPharm, PhD
President, Pharmacological Society of Singapore
PHARMACOLOGICAL SOCIETY (SINGAPORE)
Building MD3, Level 4, #04-01
16 Medical Drive, Singapore 117600